Lindstrom - Where You Go I Go Too (Smalltown Supersound, 2008)
I am new to Lindstrom's work, but really enjoy what I am hearing thus far. The new album combines his overall typical sound, but throws in some great audio references to sci-fi scores of the 80's...which as a child of that era is simply awesome to hear it be given respectful use, and not just passed off as if it were on the same level as 1970s plaid pants, or any other ridiculous item that pop culture attempts to use in a quick definition of times past.
The three tracks that make up Where You Go I Go Too are greatly minimal, but powerful too. You'll feel the atmospheric rise and fall, the dance beats just present enough to keep you energized but quiet enough to not ever be overbearing. This isn't as thick or dirty as Justice, not as robotic as Daft Punk...Lindstrom is his own sound, and rightfully so. The heavy use of arpeggios and classic synth sounds are a great tribute to old school electronic music, while still giving direction for something new. Even though these tracks can look lenghty in terms of minutes spent listening, no one particular sound overstays its welcome, allowing an easy progression from one section to another of the work.
If you like this album, let me also highly recommend his 2006 release, It's A Feedelity Affair.

No comments:
Post a Comment